M1 Summer Independent Research

Both the Shapiro Summer Research Program and the Summer Research & Clinical Assistantship Program (SRCA) offer international opportunities.



These international opportunities require advanced planning during the fall semester as students who wish to participate in an international research experience are expected to enroll in POP HLTH 640—Foundations in Global Health Practice,  which is offered in the spring semester. This course is a mix of online and in-person activities that prepare students to work independently in international settings. The course meets in-person approximately six times during the semester on Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., beginning in mid-January.  Students need to be enrolled in POP HLTH 640 to be eligible to have an international Shapiro project approved.  Contact Betsy Teigland, teigland@wisc.edu, in the SMPH Office of Global Health to arrange permission to enroll.

Applications for approval of Shapiro or SRCA projects proceed through the usual processes. Students interested in international projects should explore possibilities in November/December and enroll in POP HLTH 640 if they are likely to proceed with an international project.

The University of Wisconsin prohibits students from participating in activities in countries identified by the U.S. Department of State as a Level 3 or Level 4 travel risk, or in areas of Level 1 or 2 countries with higher level risk. Students who wish to pursue projects in such regions can appeal for a waiver. The completed Warning List Travel Policy and Exemption Form must be submitted to the SMPH Office of Global Health at least four months prior to the planned travel for review by a faculty committee. Possible reasons for granting an exemption include: the student will be pursuing a unique educational experience that cannot be obtained elsewhere; projects directly relate to career plans; the student is a citizen of the country being considered; and/or the student has had extensive experience in the country.

All students participating in an international field experience are required to fill out an International Travel Packetand to purchase CISI insurance coverage for their entire international travel period. (This insurance is required and subsidized by the UW Board of Regents, and should be purchased through the SMPH Office of Global Health.)

***Completed International Travel Packets should be submitted to Betsy Teigland, teigland@wisc.edu, 1191F HSLC.